Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dead Horse Lake - August, 2008

This post is a summary of my solo last year. I went from the West Fork-Blacks Fork Trailhead to Dead Horse Lake in the Uintas. The trip was about 10 miles each direction. As planned I stayed the first night at the trailhead so I could get an early start on my first day. I slept in the back of the Jeep due to a downpour. However, I am just taller than 6 feet, and the space in the back of the Jeep only amounted to about 5 and 1/2 feet, so it was quite uncomfortable. I barely slept at all. But, it was better to be uncomfortable and dry then uncomfortable and wet, and as luck would have it, the sun popped out the next morning and made for ideal hiking weather...other than all the fresh mud available.


About 2 miles into my hike I passed a family that had gone in on horseback. There had to have been about 20 people in their group. When I passed their camp, they were hanging nearly everything out to dry, and it looked like they had had a fairly miserable night.


The hike was nice and hugged the river almost all the way up to the lake. I wish I had planned to stop and do some fly fishing, but I wanted to make it up to my spot before too late in the day. At one point, I lost the trail where it disappeared in a marsh, but between the map and GPS located it very easily without losing time or backtracking.


As I neared Dead Horse Lake, I became very aware that I was the only person within miles of the location. It was a strange and yet somewhat pleasant feeling. I began to notice some rather fresh moose tracks on the trail and began to keep my eyes open for wildlife. Sure enough, I came upon and startled a cow and her calf. Fortunately, rather than get upset with me, they both ran parallel down the trail from whence I had come. They were too fast for me to capture a decent picture.


After about 9 and 1/2 miles, the trail ascends several hundred feet along a nice bouncing brook. At the top of that ascent is Dead Horse Lake surround by towering cliffs. I reached the top and paused for a moment to catch my breath when I heard a snorting sound from my left. I turned to look and about 30 feet away standing in the stream was a rather large bull moose. He began to turn around in my direction, so I moved quickly away. Once a safe distance, I realized I had missed my photo op. Rather than return and disturb the munching moose, I zoomed my camera in as far as I could but only ended up with an outline of the lower half (which you might be able to make out from the picture...he is standing between the lighted far tree and nearer shaded tree in the middle of the picture).


Once I had selected my site, I set up camp and went to taking care of necessities, e.g. gathering firewood, setting up shelter, changing out of wet clothing, etc. On having things in order, I made dinner and set my hand to fishing. I did end up catching what looked to me like a tiger trout, but I decided to sit back and enjoy the warmth of the fire instead of fish. Right after I had arrived, I noticed a thunderstorm blowing up the valley behind me. There were rather dark clouds and lightning moving in at a decent speed, so I hurried myself in taking care of the essentials. It was only after I noticed that the storm was going to blow off to the northwest that I took the time to fish and relax.


The night was breathtaking. If you've never seen the stars from a remote area, you should find a way to do so. The coyotes seemed to enjoy the night as well, for they barked and yelped nearly all night long.


In the morning I tried a new modifications to my breakfast by adding craisins to my oatmeal. I know, it doesn't sound real spectacular, but when you are a ways from civilization little improvements are nice. It seems like each time I go I come up with ideas that improve the experience. I've realized that taking a small notebook to jot down those ideas is a must.
I made excellent time returning the following day. I don't think I will do a solo again though. My original plan was to have my brothers and brothers-in-law accompany me, but at the last minute scheduling prevented anyone else from going. It was either don't go, or go alone. There are just too many things that could happen to you that would end up life threatening if you were alone in that country, most of which would be minor under normal conditions. It's probably best to take someone with you.

No comments: