Saturday, August 16, 2008

Well, I realize I am posting for past events, but as this becomes up-to-date, I can post each new experience. I can't possibly catch up with all the trips I've done, so I'll only mention a few from recent years and post pictures where possible. I spent all of my scouting years backpacking, and I spent some time in the Army that added to my knowledge base about survival.

About 6 years ago I took a trip up to Amethyst Lake with a friend of mine from Mexico. He had absolutely no experience in the outdoors and wanted to go, so I offered to take him. There was one spot in the hike where you go up a significant ascent. My poor friend (Eduardo) nearly had a heart attack, but we made it to our destination. The reason I mention this trip is because the next day I thought I'd be a stud and swim across the lake. Well, I got halfway across when I could no longer feel my arms. I was sitting in the middle of this ice-cold lake wondering how I was going to get the rest of the way across. I ended up having to turn onto my back and do a modified back stroke to get the rest of the way across. Once on the other side, I got out and ran around the lake to get back to camp. Needless to say, I was for the most part in a state of hypothermia. I had to light a fire and get warm fast. That's a mistake I won't make again.

Last year I only did two backpacking trips. I took the whole family to Duck Lake from the Crystal Lake Trailhead, and I also did a solo to Dead Horse Lake from the West Fork-Blacks Fork Trailhead (see other post). Up until the last few times, I haven't been as diligent about carrying my camera, so I don't have any pictures from the family trip. It was about a 3 and 1/2 mile trip each direction. My wife carried the youngest, the two older boys (5 and 7) carried their own packs, and my brother and I carried our own gear plus my wife's gear. It was a tough trip. I don't recommend taking youngsters into the Uintas for several reasons. Kids are not able to take care of themselves. They don't know how to cook, they aren't knowledgeable about sanitation, they don't exercise adequate caution around the fire, etc., etc. The Uintas is probably not the best place to have to look after little ones and worry about all the other stuff going on. If the trip is short and manageable...okay, but best to leave them home and gradually get them ready for full-fledged backpacking.

No comments: